History of Bridgend Town Council
Bridgend Town Council was established in 1974 following the reorganisation of local government and replaced the former Bridgend Urban District Council operating from Glanogwr.
After spending the period from 1974 in Glanogwr House and the former BCBC Glanogwr building, in January 2014, Bridgend Town Council relocated to the recently vacated public library building on Wyndham Street, Bridgend, now known as Carnegie House
The History of Carnegie House
In the early 20th century, Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, set out to enhance society by distributing his wealth to promote the access to knowledge of ordinary members of the public.
Andrew Carnegie donated £2,000 towards the cost of building a Public Library in Bridgend. Land was provided in Wyndham Street by the Earl of Dunraven who defrayed three quarters of the costs with the remaining quarter to be raised by public subscription.
The construction of the building began in 1906 and it was finished during 1907. The building is a renaissance Mannerist style, built with Bath stone, red brick and blue forest stone.
It operated as a public library for 106 years and was designated a Grade II Listed Building around 1987. To pay tribute to the past, the building has now been renamed Carnegie House/Ty Carnegie.
During 2015, the Town Council through a Heritage Lottery grant, in partnership with BCBC, carried out refurbishment to the front elevation of the building to ensure, the building is restored and for at least another 100 years of public service.
The first floor of the building accommodates Bridgend Town Council Chamber, staff office and meeting room, whilst the ground floor space is designated as an Arts Centre and Community Facility for wide ranging organisations and events.