The College of Arms – the sole judges and arbiters for the ‘grant of Arms’ in England (including Wales) – initially granted the Coat of Arms to Bridgend Urban District Council on 18th June 1951.
Under the 1974 Local Government reorganisation Bridgend Urban District and Penybont Rural District Councils were disbanded and replaced by Ogwr Borough Council with Bridgend Town Council coming into being as a community council within the Borough.
The Town Council applied for the adoption of the Bridgend Urban District’s Coat of Arms. This was granted by Order of Her Majesty the Queen on 16th April 1975
The emblem used by the Town Council is the Coat of Arms with Crest The ‘blazon’ (heraldic description of the shield) is as follows: Vert (green), a salmon leaping to the dexter (right-left to the observer) proper (in natural colouring), on a chief sable (black band) a bridge of two arches masoned Or (gold).
The ‘Crest’ adorns the knight’s helmet, the heraldic description being: A wreath of the colours (green gold), a raven Proper (in natural colouring) between the two garbs (sheaves of wheat) Or (gold).